The increasingly important issue of Unaccompanied Asylum Seeker Children (UASCs), children under 18 who are not cared for by any adult in this country, is the topic of a seminar on Friday 5th June 2009 organised jointly by the Glasgow Immigration Practitioners’ Group, the Murray Stable , and the Scottish Refugee Council . In the light of recent rather inaccurate legal advice given by the Borders Agency to members of the COSLA Strategic Migration Partnership (CSMP) as to the duties owed to this and other groups, the subject is highly topical.
The speakers are Piya Muqit , advocate, Murray Stable, who is also Legal Officer of Refugee and Migrant Justice ; Kirsty Gemmell, Senior Solicitor, Ethnic Minorities Law Centre ; and Fraser Latta , Partner, Hamilton Burns. This is the first in a series of joint seminars on immigration and asylum issues; others will be publicised for later this year. For further details contact Joe Bryce , advocate, or Sheila Coutts at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1.00 – 1.30: Registration and Coffee
- 1.30 – 2.00: Glasgow City Council: Local authority arrangements for support and accommodation of young people claiming asylum: Kirsty Gemmell.
- 2.00 – 2.30: Brand Street and Dungavel: Home Office policy for reception of UASCs, including age assessment and detention: Fraser Latta.
- 2.30 – 2.45: Coffee
- 2.45 – 4.45: KEYNOTE PRESENTATION: Developing Legal Services for UASCs. Caselaw; Best practice in interviewing children and in preparing and presenting appeals to the AIT; Issues at reconsideration: Piya Muqit.
- 4.45 – 5.00: Questions and Panel Discussion.
Venue: Scottish Refugee Council , 5 Cadogan Square (170 Blythswood Court), Glasgow, G2 7PH. To book places (£50 per place), email participant name, organisation and contact details for invoicing to: email@example.com; Telephone: 0141 248 9799 or Fax: 0141 243 2499