On Monday 2nd November the Centre for the Study of Human Rights Law  and the Environmental Law Centre Scotland  are co-hosting this conference at the Royal Concert Hall, 2 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow. I’m speaking on rights to environmental information. The Environmental Information Regulations (there are two sets, UK  and Scottish ) don’t receive a lot of attention in comparison to the general scheme of the two Freedom of Information Acts, but they have a wider ambit, covering some private-sector organisations and companies who aren’t covered by general FOI legislation, and in some ways give those seeking information a better process than the Acts. Here’s an algorithm of the relationship between the different schemes  I did before; here’s the Scottish Information Commissioner’s gateway page  on environmental information; and here’s a general guide to freedom of information rights in Scotland  by Derek O’Carroll , advocate.
- 9.00-9.30am Registration and Tea/Coffee
- 9.30-9.45am Welcome address: Lord MacKay of Drumadoon
- 9.45-10.30am Defining Environmental Justice: Ms Aimee Asante, The Law School, University of Strathclyde
- 10.30-10.45am Break
- 10.45-11.30am Using Law to deliver Environmental Justice: Professor Mark Poustie, The Law School, University of Strathclyde
- 11.30am-12.15pm Rights created under the ECHR: Aidan O’Neill QC
- 12.15-1.00pm Rights in EU Environmental Law: Professor Ludwig Kramer, Patron, Environmental Law Centre Scotland
- 1.00-1.45pm Lunch
- 1.45-2.15pm Aarhus Convention and Access to Justice in Scots Law: Frances McCartney, Environmental Law Centre Scotland
- 2.15-2.45pm Planning Reforms and Human Rights: Ralph Smith QC
- 2.45-3.00pm Break
- 3.00-3.30pm Rights to Environmental Information: Jonathan Mitchell QC
- 3.30-4.15pm Panel discussion, questions and closing remarks
- 4.15-5.00pm Drinks reception
The conference fee including lunch, refreshments and drinks reception is £150. Concessions are available for academics, delegates from charitable organisations and community groups at the rate of £80. Booking form here .